Friday, August 19, 2011

CSA Year Two - Week 8

I don't know how I've gotten so behind in this. That's not entirely true...I participated in Bread and Water Theatre's Annual Art & Music Fair and the experience kind of exhausted me. And disappointed me. I got some wonderful feedback from kind customers - most notably the backhanded compliment that my photo cards are too lovely for mail. Maybe some prints I guess? I don't know, the public is fickle.

Anywho, Week 8 began the Fruit Share! For this purpose, I am not going to separate out in pictures, what is from what share, but will note with *fruit share item*.

Week Eight

handful of basil
handful of dill
pint of lovely, ripe, red raspberries
4 early apples
1 head broccoli
4 carrots
4 ears corn
1 bunch chard
just over a pint of green beans
4 small heads lettuce

And, since it was the start of the fruit share, I put most of the fruit together in another picture, with the exception of the early apples. I just couldn't resist the yellow apples against the green and brown of my photo prop. Yes, I am getting so much I am needing to elevate things to get them all in the picture!

Week Eight - More Fruit

Look at how lovely those reds, oranges and yellows look together! Yum!

a dozen plus apricots *fruit share item*
10 red plums
6 peaches *fruit share item*
4 wonderful smelling yellow plums *fruit share item*

So much GOOD FOOD! So much I am not sure where to start... I think I will get the fruit out of the way first...

Apricots: The minute I saw these, I thought tart. I am not sure why, but I was. So, I ended up making an apricot-plum tart over almond-honey marscapone cheese. With the leftovers, I am thinking about cooking them down and putting them over french toast.

Peaches: Peaches are probably one of my favorite summer fruits. Next to blackberries, you really can't go wrong with a bunch of either in a bowl with cream/milk. These are perfect for lunches. And desserts like I already stated. :)

Early Apples: Lunches!

Yellow Plums: These did not last long! They were like honey wrapped in a lovely, soft flesh!

Red Plums: I was expecting sweet plums, but these are a little more sour than I expected. I used these by eating them in lunches and in the above mentioned yummy tart.

Red Raspberries: I ate them. In one handful.

And now, onto the vegetables and herbs....

Basil & Dill: I've been keeping the cut herbs in water by the window. The basil keeps much better than the dill and is an easy quick addition to almost anything!

Broccoli: Stir-fry, salads and steamed. The 3-S's of Summer Eating!

Carrots: I enjoy carrots, just not like I used to. I can't eat them raw like I used to before this crown. :-\ What doesn't get used early will be cooked and used for stock. I have some summer squash I should cook down too.

Corn: Cooked, grilled, eaten. I am thinking about cornbread too if it doesn't get eaten right off the bat.

Chard: I am officially tired of chard. Anyone ever use it in vegetable stock?

Green Beans: Stir-fry and steamed. I steam mine with a little olive oil, rosemary and garlic salt, yum.

Lettuce: Always salads. Summer Sumptuous Salads! :)

Wow. That was a lot. And, onto Week 9!


No comments:

Post a Comment