Sunday, September 25, 2011

CSA Year Two - Week Twelve

September is a rough month. School starts again, so I have to get back into the swing of that, and canning season is in full swing. At the end of the summer CSA season and before the Winter Share! starts, I'll show you everything I've put up this year, since so much of it came from the CSA this year.

Anywho, since I'm already like three weeks behind....

Week Twelve Fruit Share

Fruit Share
Watermelon: I haven't used it yet. Will be eating it for lunch, just have to get around to cut it. I also saw a recipe for watermelon jelly, and I'm intrigued. And I say jelly like Jell-o, not like "put on bread" jelly.

Nectarines: They said nectarines, they looked like nectarines, but when I cut them, they smelled and tasted a little like peaches. So, they got canned with the peaches. I did a spiced peach with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and allspice. I hope they turn out as yummy as they smelled.

Autumn Crisp Apples: I haven't really made an apple pie yet, so I did that. With some craisins. It was so good, I think I'll make another one - It *is* apple season here afterall....


Week Twelve

a handful of different lettuce
3 tomatoes (they are hiding under the pears and behind the herbs)
1 head cabbage
4 beets (also hiding)
1 small bunch celery
1 white eggplant
2 green peppers
4 ears corn
8 potatoes (also hiding)
1 small bunch scallions
5 Bartlett pears
1 pt plums
1 handful each: basil & oregano

Tomatoes: Salads and possibly can them. It depends on how many I can get off of my bushes as well.

Cabbage: No clue. I am not a cabbage fan and I don't really like coleslaw. I am thinking something with pork. I'll have to consult my sous-chef, Google. ;-)

Beets: Roasted and cooked well. The weird thing is that I really like pickled beets, but don't get them in enough quantity to actually can them like this. Plus, I don't eat *that* many of them!

Celery: Have I told you that I love eating celery by the handful? I do. So, this will get trimmed and put in a cup of water. I'm pretty good at snacking on it instead of other things if I know I have it on hand.

Eggplant: I've been dying to making eggplant fries. So that is what I did. And I cooked them too high for too long. It was like eating air. I think I am going to try again if another eggplant arrives.

Peppers: Salads, stir-fry, sauce. Whatever. I will also eat this raw. Mainly when I'm cooking other things.

Corn: The usual. Cooked and eaten. Nothing new because I love corn just the way it is.

Potatoes: Salted and garlic smashed.

Scallions: The usual all-purpose uses.

Pears: Lunches. I love pears. I want to can some, but I'm not sure these will last that long...

Plums: Lunches and snacks.

Herbs: All purpose uses. If I have them fresh, I snip and throw them in whatever I'm cooking.

1 comment:

  1. I really missed having celery from the CSA this year. It made great soup.

    We usually do something with pork and cabbage, too. Otherwise I saute it with some onion and/or apple. Yum. :)

    ReplyDelete